Sunday 12 April 2009

A bloody mess?

This morning, there were a few dreadful seconds when I truly believed that: all my teeth were falling out, my mouth was pouring with blood, and my life was over.

It didn't take long for me to realise that this wasn't in fact the case, and that the liquid staining my toothbrush and the sink in front of me a deep shade of red, was not blood, but purely the consequence of eating a jar of baby beetroot for breakfast (the only reason I had gone back to re-clean my teeth in the first place, but also a fact that had completely left my mind in the few seconds it took me to walk from the kitchen to the bathroom).

Understandably relieved to note that my exorcist style start to the morning was nothing more than the result of securing the first of my five a day, I left the bathroom feeling light, uplifted and merry. How silly of me to think the whole world was over when it was just a few seconds of confusion!

At the risk of sounding like a street preacher, in hindsight, this little story seems quite poignant. At the time I had my little head hanging over the sink and the first red drop left my mouth, I could think of no explanation for the sink tinting, other than the fact that my mouth was bleeding. Withdrawing a dark red toothbrush and spitting red toothpaste into the sink had, in my head, confirmed this to be the case and ruled out any possibility of any other explanation. Only a matter of seconds later I was laughing at myself for coming to such a silly conclusion. What I had deemed to be certain horror and possible death, had in fact turned out to be quite the opposite: a healthy vegetable, providing my body with essential nutrients and anti-oxidants.

My point is that sometimes life just isn't the way it seems - you just can't quite think clearly at the time. Right now, the only things I can see are the end of the best job in the world and the beginning of homelessness and joblessness during a credit crunch... hardly a situation to be jumping for joy about. And then an email from Shortlist Magazine:

"Hi Sarah Louise, someone has just cancelled on us. Can you come in for a couple of weeks?"
Who knows, maybe this Shortlist will get me further than the last one...

No comments:

Post a Comment